Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Writing Process Blog Hop--Passing the Baton

Passing on the Baton

Diann Thornley Read is a good friend of mine. In fact I would have put her name in for this hop if she hadn't named me first. You can find her here.

So these are the questions I'm answering today:

1) What are you currently working on?  

I'm writing the middle of LETTERS FOR STEPS, I just finished editing Donna Hatch's book THE CARRIER, and I'm editing my own book, KIRSTEN CONFUSED (working title) along with doing loads of book reviews and poetry. I'm also waiting for re-write orders for the book Walnut Springs is publishing called SUNRISE OVER SCIPIO and another called SUMMERHOUSE which are supposed to come out momentarily. I am never not busy or bored.

2) How does your work differ from others in its genre?  

That's a broad question because I write stuff all over the map. In LFS I write about two missionaries from the perspectives of both being a missionary and from being an investigator--the whole "locking your heart" process. I tell the stories in my head. When I'm writing Sci Fi it's never without a little bit of romance. I like to have my paranormal works have a little mystery to them. My dystopian stuff has an element of romance and hope. I can't stand reading dystopian works that don't at least have that tag end of hope--that sunset at the end of the day which promises a new world in the morning. I want to read fabulous writing that isn't full of garbage like bad language or sex. I have to admit some of my action scenes get a little jiggy but I try to keep it something I'd be happy having my fifteen-year-old read.

3) Why do you write what you do?

I write because there's a story in my head BANGING to get out. My characters plague me until I write their story. And sometimes they hijack the plot. I write because I love it. Writing is my creative vent. Before, it was doing murals on people's walls or illuminating medieval manuscripts. I have to be creating something wonderful. I write because I want to read great material and I want to fill the world with that great material. That's also why I'm a Work In Progress...:o)
 
4) How does your writing process work?

I make a rough outline. Then I go back in and plug things in. I go back in and back in until everything sounds right. Then I polish until it shines. Mostly ideas come to me as I'm sitting there at the computer. Occasionally I work out plots while doing other tasks, though. I don't know how many scenes I've hashed out while hanging laundry.

I'd like to nominate four of the others I think are fabulous (Only four. There are so very many others...sigh):

Donna King Weaver
Donna Hatch
James Artimus Owens
Joyce DiPastena

Check out these four and their four and their four. Woo hoo, Authorception!

No comments:

Post a Comment