Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Thursday, April 24, 2014

TONGUE OF FIRE Review



I'm taking some time to review a book called TONGUE OF FIRE by David McKnight.

I didn't think I'd enjoy this book as much as I did. Normally I don't go in for books about preaching and football very much. But this one caught my attention and held it clear for the big score.

John Peterson brings his family to Mayfield, fleeing a reputation for religious pontificating. Despite his promise to his family to tone it down for once, John slips (or rather is pushed) into a horrific situation--doing exactly opposite of the family 'Plan'.

Brother John's innocent and well-meant actions could blow the family, and the whole town, wide apart. He stands to lose the people he loves, his job, his new home, his son's football scholarship, and worse, his soul. But what's a Christian to do? They desperately need help only John seems to be able to offer.

I enjoyed the twists and turns. The story is well written, fast-paced, and entertaining. I was rooting for John and Jake and several of the preachers. I would have liked to see at least one of those guys join the church (hey, one can dream). And I would also have appreciated finding out at the beginning of their time in Mayfield that John had gotten the Italian teaching job at the high school. Still, a field goal read.

It brings up a few questions for me. What would I do in a similar situation? Would I be able to watch my husband do the things John had to do without questioning his sanity? How charitable would I be with the whole town up in arms against me?

Answer these questions by purchasing TONGUE OF FIRE here. Then drop back for the touchdown pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment