Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

National Poetry Month--Day 28--Hero Poems



Today is Hero Poem day. If you want to know more about Hero Poems, go here. And my poems:


Lon-who doesn't 
believe in green ties


I know I don't often tell you
So that you'll know it's true
How much I've come to value
The myriad things you do

There's not another person
Who works both day and night
To make our life here better
Make weighty problems light.

You're gentle with small children
Every wounded little thing
You care about your people
You dance around and sing.

You've quite a fearsome intellect
You can fix most anything
You're sensitive and funny
Responsibility you bring

There were so many aspects
I wanted for my man
You sure as heck don't fit them all
But most of them you span

There's not another person
I'd want standing next to me
When the bad things hit the fan
It's you, Lon, happily.

©2020 by H. Linn Murphy
CHRIST
Grand builder of God's universe
Who spent his life's blood for our sin
Whose kind eyes see everything
On surface and deep within

You who set the planets spinning
Who built man from the dust
Who filled the world with varied life
Exemplar of the just

You who with your every act
Who spent life's every day
In perfect service to all mankind
In all You think and do and say 

You are the hero of my soul
You are the pathway sure
Raising the lantern of Your light
Your matchless life so pure

If I can but hope to serve
As best as I know how
To love Your siblings faithfully
I gladly to thee bow.

©2020 by H. Linn Murphy














 My Mom
From when I was tiny 
You were my mirror
And my lantern,
Holding aloft an example
Of what it means to become
A woman of God. 
You were the woman on her knees,
Twice the missionary
You were the most patient,
The kindest, the busiest, 
The most creative,
Curious about nature,
And about the world around us.
Mom the trouble shield
Though supportive wife
The go-getter-est, most intrepid
Person I know.
More than that,
You were always SERVICE.
You were there when
You wished to be anywhere else,
Making it work for the rest of us.
Because  it was what you do.
You build 'HOME'.
You build the future out of
Snips and smidges
And things others left behind.
You believed in a clumsy ballerina
And a squeaky violinist
And a writer of books
You, the ebullient,
Player of Scrabble 
With a twinkle in your eye,
Who hopes to win, 
But gladly acclaims others' wins. 
The creator of art and life,
The cork who rises to the top,
The water off a duck's back,
The 'This-too-will-pass' person.
You taught in spite of not knowing
The language where you lived.
You the globe-spanning teacher,
Cleanser of hospitals, bedrooms,
Mistakes and hearts,
You bloom where planted.
You, a fearsome warrior
For the righteous.
You who take meals to the sick,
Bake bread for the hungry,
Make dolls for the world,
You, the erstwhile debutante
Give clothing to children IN Africa,
You who work in hospitals
And orphanages,
Who walk though lame,
Who dug up the past,
You who hunt relatives
Like a coursing hawk.
You who care fiercely
For her young, 
Who taught us hard work didn't hurt,
My mother who remembers
The little things,
And gives them back
As big things.
You the sentinel of the broken,
Who dragged me around the world
When I was too young to appreciate
All you sacrificed for me
And for our family and 
Everyone you know
You, Mom, are my
HEROINE.

©2020 by H. Linn Murphy



No comments:

Post a Comment