Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Sunday, April 26, 2020

National Poetry Month--Day 26--Monorhyme--Song of Day



It's Monorhyme day today. Yup. I was clueless before too. Stephanie does a great job explaining it here. First I'm doing a free verse one, then I'll get to the Monorhyme. I don't usually write on Sunday. But today I'm introducing (yes, I know I'm WAY late) my mother to this site. Maybe she'll carry on for a while into May.

And on to my free verse poem (because I'm a rebel):

MY PATIENT FRIEND
As morning sun paints delicate shell the cobalt sky
My friend whispers, "I am here."
"I know," I say.  "I've got a busy morning."
He smiles and answers a few million prayers.
"Too busy to talk to me?" He says,
The sadness tingeing His voice.
"We're talking now. Please bless my food."
He turns the sun up a notch to make
Sure more snow melts in North Dakota.
"Can we talk after breakfast?" He gently asks.
"Well I've got these urgent things to do.
But we'll talk soon. Maybe at lunch.
Hey, before I go, can you protect me from
This virus thing? It's really bugging me.
And bless all the poor people and take care
Of my friends while you're at it?"
"Do what the Prophet asks and you'll do fine."
At least we've talked. Kind of.
"Thanks. Bye." And I hit the ground running.
The talk at lunch is a few rote words
I toss at him before flying back to work.
As I run, I see His hand outstretched to me.
"Wait," He says. But I'm already gone, intent.
"I was trying to bless you like you asked.
Read the directions and do what they say."
"Just bless me," I yell as I race back to
What I was doing, ignorant of the hurt I'd caused.
He sighs, and walks back down the road,
A little dejected at the treatment of his "friend."
"She won't slow down and pay attention
Until I send her problems she can't ignore.
Then she's right there with her hand out,
Expecting Me to solve it all."
Another sigh, and He turns up the heat
In Arizona.

What kind of friend am I?

©2020 by H. Linn Murphy



Okay. Now for something completely different. Monorhyme:

SONG OF DAY
Morning draws night's cobalt curtain onto grey
Extinguishing stars across wide expanse of Milky Way
Rise majestic monarch with its nourishing ray
O'er the vast cerulean vaults of milky May
Fill now with stitching birds in flights of fey
Til light illuminates all flower gardens gay
Making magic with wind, rain in rich display
And fills the whispering fields with crops and hay
Causes young fillies to leap and prance and neigh 
Up they rise, the humans who must for their livelihood pay
Busy as the bee, the ant, or periwinkle-feathered jay
Fashioning their world of steel and wood and clay 
Making choices for all Earth they hardly weigh
Fill the world with all importance they have need to say
Until at last the work grinds down to finish all essay
Home they go wending at dying of play
Sometimes in thankfulness and love they pray
Birds seek their nests, beasts their holdings affray
Dolphins leap and gambol to their home fold bay
Owl and bat begin their nighttime hunting prey
When night light stars replace the sunlight down they lay
To await the heralding of another incandescent day
©2020 by H. Linn Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment