Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Day 7--National Poetry Month--Free Verse--Gold and Dust--Senses Poems--Ghost Pepper, Prophet

This is a Free verse poem I wrote when my son left home. How I miss him still.

GOLD AND DUST

I stand in your old room
And weep
For the hours
Not held to my heart
When they were new
Now fled through cracks
And into dark spaces
No one sees.
I finger your old toys
Imbued with ancient laughter
And sibling angst.
The sound of little boy giggles
And questions 
As you seek something
Under the bed.
Bricks and tinkertoys, 
Darts and scouting badges,
Books and swords and magical cards.
You no longer need such things
To make you happy.
She has your heart locked away
And keeps the key
On a short chain.
Will she allow you
Only fleeting glimpses
Of the past?
I hear them echoing
In ears long quiet
With your lack.
Why did I not take note?
Hours sifted like
Golden hourglass sand
Through my fingers
As my gaze hung elsewhere
On other gold-painted coal.
My time with you
Now relegated to
Memories not noted
By anyone but me.
For you, now, seek
Other vistas
Eyes looking outward
Not back at me and
Other dusty old things

I want to clutch you
To me
And fill your ears
With bright warnings
Mark an X where you
Bury your treasures
For even memories
Can flee on feet of lightning
Take time to sit
And brush the dust from those
Slippery bits of moments
Long sloughed away
In favor of the new
Shiny thing
Tack them down
So they cannot fly
For, though dusty, they are
That gossamer
Of which you are made
They are your wheelhouse
And your anchor,
Keeping you on the track
Towards becoming.
Without them, 
You'd flounder in
Uncertainty.

I stand at your door and weep
For you have gone,
Taking only a few
Bits and bobs
You deem important,
Leaving the rest
To silt away
Into obscurity
Until for some reason
I shake them out
And brush them off
To watch as once again
You play with your first
Christmas toy
Or build amazing structures
From bricks and
Your imagination.
My boy, my boy.
My winsome son.
Eager to please, 
With a mischievous grin.
Ah my heart,
Overflowing with
Love for you
And memories.
I close your door, 
Weeping.
Now I see your
Long lost shadow,
Your quirky smile,
The glint in your eyes,
Caught like cobweb
Among your things.
© 2018 by H. Linn Murphy


This is a senses poem. This is the link to how to do one.





Ghost Pepper
I see this tiny, unassuming red thing on a neighboring plate.
I smell the overpowering scent of chili peppers.
I hear the laughter in the back as the kitchen staff watch a noob deal with his first ghost pepper.
I feel the crunch of ghosty's lesser brother, jalapeno beneath my teeth.
I taste enough heat to fire up a three stage rocket.
I think I'm glad I don't have one of those demon fruits on my plate.

© 2019 by H. Linn Murphy


And another:




Prophet
I see a frail old man with eyes full of power--of the Spirit of God.
I smell the odor of ink as I capture his incredibly wise words
I hear amazing principles inspired by Christ, words which will fill my life with meaning
I feel my heart bursting with a will to reach out and up
I have a sour taste in my mouth considering all I have yet to do
I think this man was sent by the Father to lift and urge me to a better, though less easy path.  
© 2019 by H. Linn Murphy


No comments:

Post a Comment