Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Day 10--National Poetry Month--What If/I might Poem--Dumbo Octopus

Today I'm doing a What If/I Might poem. You can find the explanation and a matrix to plug words into here. And my poem below.



If I were a Dumbo Octopus down deep in the sea,
I'd ghost through the trenches so sharks wouldn't eat me.

I'd be independent and exceptionally rare
And I'd travel deep water with panache and flare

I'd eat floating crustaceans that live in the middle
And wouldn't need stoves or frying pans or a griddle.

If I were a Dumbo I'd live so far in the deep
That no one would see me and I'd safely sleep

If  I got lonely and wanted a mate,
I'd call octopi parties and go on a date.

What if I didn't find a sweetheart for a year?
I'd stockpile my eggs for a while with no fear.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could be so patient?

©2019 by H. Linn Murphy



These little guys are way, way cool. They are the deepest living octopi. We don't even know how deep they can live. They lay their eggs on the bottom of the ocean. They can keep eggs in various stages of development for months, along with supplies of sperm. They have very few predators, including man. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment