Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Day 13--National Poetry Month--ABAB Poem--Traveler's Envy Blues--Triplets--The One-Note Dove

I'm doing this ahead of time, so I'm not sure Stephanie has this for her poem for today. If not, I'll come back later. This one was itching at me to get written.



TRAVELER'S ENVY BLUES
Everyone is going sweet places
They're trotting all over the globe
They're packing their bags and suitcases
And taking a swimsuit and robe.

They're off to Cambodia,Australia
They're flying to Nepal and Iceland
On the road to Canada and Italia
Budapest, Stockholm, and Japan.

They're swimming and climbing and frolicking
And dancing the hora and cancan.
They're snorkeling, base jumping, kayaking
Exploring dark caves in sampans.

And I? Well I'm banking the home fires.
I'm shopping and holding the fort.
I'm sitting with babies and snow tires,
Doing homework and laundry--a mort.

I, too, would just love to be packing
For someplace exotic and fun. 
But I'm stuck home the laundry attacking
Making lunch, pulling weeds in the sun.

I wish I had something to dream of
Instead of the very same grind.
Flying into the sunset with my love
Would be a great present to find.

But it all takes that thing we call money
That's something that's in short supply.
We need a new car something funny.
Termites ate our house in July.

So now I am stuck here just dreaming
As I scheme all my money to save.
If I hear one more tale I'll go screaming (kidding)
But I'll look at your pictures and rave.

©2019 by H. Linn Murphy


So here are some triplets. If you want to know the difference between a triplet and a tercet, go here.



THE ONE-NOTE DOVE
Dove out cheeping in the yard
You make writing poems hard
Want to hoist you from petard
©2019 by H. Linn Murphy



DOVE'S ANSWER
You complain of how I sing
You're not singing anything
Your voice makes my eardrums ring
©2019 by H. Linn Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment