Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Friday, April 19, 2019

Day 19--National Poetry Month--Rhyme Royal--My Incredible Elder Brother

Today it's time for a Rhyme Royal. It's a septet, meaning it has seven lines and a complicated scheme. If you'd like to know more about the Rhyme Royal, and/or septets, go here. And the Poem, ladies and Gentlemen:



MY INCREDIBLE ELDER BROTHER
Jesus Christ, the God of this mortal world
Has healed the sick and brought the dead to life
Gave us His perfect heart in service furled
Healed wounds once born of grief, foul war, and strife
If I forsake my burdens and my knife
The Savior takes my broken, battered heart
Shows me the way to live the better part.

At times I cannot lift my drooping head
The darkness closes o'er and claims my soul
Mistakes envelop leaving my soul dead
I cannot recognize eternal goals
Until the Spirit His instructions doles
And I remember what my Brother taught
I can shuck off the chains which Satan wrought

Before grave judgement bar I do quiver
My lifelong deeds pass before my face
Because of dreadful acts I quake and shiver
With utmost kindness Christ reviews my case
He then extends His full abounding grace
If I have done my best to use His path
Forsaken selfishness, envy, and wrath

© 2019 by H. Linn Murphy



No comments:

Post a Comment