Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Sunday, April 24, 2016

For My Son--Free Verse Poem

This is a free verse poem for National Poetry Month. Sorry, I don't write on Sunday. So my limerick is up for the last day of the month since I'll be in Ireland...in Limerick...:o) Instead, this is free verse:

For My Son
I don't know if you realize
How you've pinned me to the world
With your potent hugs,
The care in your eyes,
And the way my words sound
In your ears.
You bump me back into 
My groove,
The one I've been carving
Since I was younger 
Than you.
You tell me
With that hundred and fifty watt smile
Of yours,
In a way that sings in my heart
And makes my life more like chocolate
And less like sand burrs.
If only you knew how I 
Watch you sleep
And how close to the surface
Are the tears which 
Tie you to me 
Forever
Hope lives in you,
Takes root and blooms,
The flowers fragrant 
And everliving.
You are beautiful 
In white.
© 2016 by H. Linn Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment