Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Thursday, April 8, 2021

National Poetry Month--Day Huit--Octopoem--The Claw--and more

 


Today it's an Octopoem. If you'd like to know more about this poetry form, go here. To explain today's poem:  During Brush & Bulky Pickup in this city, The Claw comes to crunch into people's old couches and giant screen TVs to lift them into the trash compactor. Highly entertaining at a very cheap price. Here it is:

The Claw

In the shell pink of the morning we hear The Claw's silvery jaws devouring the piles.

It's spring, when the buds are new, when the weight of winter has fled to the edges of the year 

Down the street and up the lane it comes, roaring as it crunches, filling its belly.

Rain or the ubiquitous sunny days make no difference to The Claw's hunger.

We run out in sweats or jammies (luckily no towels) to watch the beast crunch into people's junk.

It devours couches and entertainment centers, boxes of flotsam, drifts of branches, broken chairs.

The Claw tempts Hoarders (not my husband) to release their broken bits to fill the maw.

We have in the past taken popcorn out to watch the spectacle. No time! It's coming!

©2021 by H. Linn Murphy

And an extra, in the vein of our DEAR Dr. Seuss:


AVOCADOS

Avocados are the best

Better than the bestest rest

I would eat them in the rain (if it ever did that)

I would eat them on a train.

I'd spread a burger with their flesh

With everything the fruit does mesh

I'd eat them bathing at the beach

And on a cliff if I could reach

Avocados make me grin

They improve most all I have them in

The hubby thinks they're pond scum icky

He's just so incredibly picky

Avocados are super food

Potassium in them is really good

Bananas I need not consume

With avocados in the room 

Give me elegance of gooey green

And I'll stop being hater mean

Avocados make my day

Unless they're 'off', what can I say?

©2021 by H. Linn Murphy


 

No comments:

Post a Comment