Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Acrostic Poem--Alaskan Love Song--National Poetry Month


We're doing acrostic poems today. To see how to do this, go here. I'm missing Alaska today as the temps climb back up into the triple digits here. It's a good thing I stocked up on memories while there. Take me back!

A land of majestic mountains scraping the sky in stark winter coats
Laboring to fill cans with salmon--then smoking some, the scent of hickory teasing tastebuds.
A place where the sun lets me climb rocky faces all night.

Swimming in snow melt--so bracing and so full of marine life.
Kayaking across the bay to fish in the still silences.
An eagle spreads its wings above us as it rides the thermals.
North of everything, in my mind, the wind blows full of fresh green beauty.

Empire of ice and wind and bone-chilling cold.
Xtreme living at it's most primeval.


Prepare for bears the size of trucks, and mosquitoes big as cows.
Eskimos and Klinkits smile with their whole bodies. 
Rivers teaming with spawning salmon, like silver ribbons through green velvet. 
Indian fishermen grin over their gill nets. 
Everyone takes care of their neighbor, no questions asked. 
Northern lights ripple across the heavens in a grand spectacle. 
Cakes of salmon, so yummy and filling.
Ever in my dreams, so often in my thoughts. How I miss you!

© 2017 by H. Linn Murphy





1 comment: