Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

National Poetry Month--Day 20--5 W's Poem--Kilt kilt--AABBA Poem--The Highlander's Lament

 

This is my 5 Ws poem. However, I didn't go strictly by the exact order because it didn't work that way. If you want to learn the order, go here. Otherwise, my kilt poem: 

KILT KILT

Granny once went to Scotland fair 

When the world was young and bare

She asked me what she could buy me there

 Hoping candy would be my fare

"A Kilt!" I said with a great deal of care



When at last my gran came home

Never to Scotland again to roam

She gave me a doll. Said "Hair to comb!

Kilts were $100 a foot, you gnome!

Next time just ask for a finger of foam." 


And so I lit instead on another path

To earning my kilt, instead of wrath

Became my clan's editor-in-chief I hath

With words I won my kilt plus math

Because $900 bucks plus is completely daft

©2022 by H. Linn Murphy

 

Here's my other poem for today:

 

THE HIGHLANDER'S LAMENT (written as Johnny McKusick)

(A titch naughty but inspired by the Great Moth Influx of '22--a horribly real occurrence)

My kilt has been chomped by a moth

There are teacup-sized holes in the cloth

The holes there and there

Causing lassies to stare

I canna just ignore them both.

 

I might have to cut them away

But then too little fabric will stay

It'd be a tight skirt

Covered up by a shirt

I'd have no cloth leftover to play

 

At one hundred bucks a foot

I don't have the dollars to boot

On the front there's a patch

And the back has a match

I no longer my bagpipes will toot

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For sporrans in front give a cheer

But for patches things might appear

I'm happy to say 

By the end of the day

I've had plenty of offers for beer

 

So if you should find it's your lot

That moths hole your kilt like a pot

Better take heart and mind

And a lassy you find

Who treasures what jewels (and patches) you've got!

©2022 by H. Linn Murphy



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment