Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Friday, April 15, 2022

National Poetry Month--Day 15--Octopoems--Spelunking

 




Today we're doing Octopoems. To find out what that is, go here. Mine is below:

 SPELUNKING

I sit in the dark with my headlamp off. The black is so dense I can barely breathe.

No season matters in this Stygian place of silken draperies, chocolate ribbons, buttery bacon, and crazy-shaped Helictites

Beneath, a watery floor who knows how deep, puddles full of cave pearls and blind fish

For weather, only the drip drip dripping of seeping water hitting my helmet and a breathe of passing breeze

My grubbies are mud from the bottoms of my ragged shoes to the top of my head lamp

I sit on a stone stool to wait for my following son, who is chimney-ing down the last of the narrow crevasse.

I'm so glad I have my helmet on, or I'd have M*A*S*H-ed my head a hundred times.

Might as well have the sandwich I didn't want to leave in the car to give me food poisoning. Yum. Dirt.

These are 5 of our 6 children.
  ©2022 by H. Linn Murphy

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment