Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

National Poetry Month--Day 25--Free Verse--That Moment



Today we're doing free verse. If you don't know what that means, you can go here to learn about it.

I wanted to post the picture of him I took with the dew rising, but it's locked away on my still-languishing computer.

So if you've been paying attention, you know I write about my dog a bunch. I'd have to say it's because he's the being I spend most of my time with. Although he can't talk to me, he's the one who understands me best. He's perfectly patient (unless there is a ball in the park at stake) and loyal (unless someone else at the park throws further) and the only being in the world who will lick my feet. That's got to be saying something. Nobody else will even touch them. That's my dog for you. In his honor, here's another poem:


THAT MOMENT

Light scintillating through leaves
Pricking aureoles through dark lace
A patchwork of light across the 
Fresh-mown grass.
I swing and
The ball cracks out,
High into the fluff-studded blue.
As if shot from a gun, you're off
The tawny length of you
Bunching, then 
Stretched lean, golden taffy.
You listen for the ball's whine,
Turning at the last second.
SNAP!
Your jaws crash shut over the screaming orb
You thunder back,
Your ears streaming, 
Your tail a golden flag in the wind.
My breath catches
As we're caught in molten amber.
The dew flies up,
Scattering diamonds
In the new-minted sunlight.
It's one of those 
Precious microcosms,
One perfect crystalline moment.
© 2018 by H. Linn Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment