Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Monday, April 23, 2018

National Poetry Month--Day 22--Pleiades Poem, Spares



Today we're doing a Pleiades Poem. Yeah, I was snowed too, until I went here and looked it up. So this is my offering today, since I will be sitting in the dentist's office while my son gets his teeth done before he goes off to parts unknown on his two year mission for our church. Plus there are some other poems I did freelance.




DENTISTS

Do they Delight in the Decidedly Dippy grins and
Delirious Discussions of their Definitely Dopped-up 
Dental patients as they Dive into the Doors of breath
During Dental Discoveries? Definitely. They just Deny
Doing Dastardly Deeds with cameras.
Dentists Don't Daunt me.
Do they Delight or Debilitate you?
(This poem was seven lines before the kerning messed it up.)


And my spares:

DEVOURING

Oh ye doors of breath and conversation
Which pucker to accept
The kiss of a husband and render the same 
To loves familial,
Which speak a plethora of phrases both
Absurd and Profound,
Aid and derision, 
Longing and replete,
Which sing in dusky tones and
Fill the air with laughter and sarcasm,
Why must ye spring wide
To accept such vast quantities of repast?
Though the mind quails at 
The promise of rotundity,
You unhinge as a snake
To welcome enough victuals
To support an embattled keep.
Groan you then, and dither and whinge
About the impending tonnage.
Close the gate, I say.
Push back before impending doom.
Leave some for the rest of the country.


SLEEP THIEF
That curtain of black velvet
Which steals away the cares of day
Evaded me last night
Leaving only lassitude.
I run and run and 
Never catch the racing thief
Of dreams and plans
And budding hopes.
Take only ID this night, 
Old friend.
Leave dreams behind.

© 2018 by H. Linn Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment