Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Monday, May 7, 2012

Review of On Little Wings

It has been a long time since such words wove through my hair, my clothing, and my mind--like sea spray in a stiff breeze. On Little Wings spoke to my soul and reminded me of my own lost, bittersweet loves, my summer magic, my little death as I said good-bye. He waits in my memories, laughing, teasing me. I was once seventeen too.

More than that, the book speaks to me of another--of my own wounds left unbound, years still slowly bleeding as we watch our separate lives slide away in silence. How I wish I had the courage, like Jennifer, to reach out and draw him close, knowing that he finally understood. How I wish I could understand him before it's too late and dark regret seals me away from him.

Thank you, Regina, for your luscious imagery, for your journey to the sea, and back into hours left standing in dusty jars. Thank you for reminding me that words are to taste, not to bludgeon. I'm keeping this book

4 comments:

  1. Excellent review. It is a beautiful description of what appears to be a beautiful book. It's on my list of books to read for certain. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review, Heidi. You always use such beautiful language. This book is on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I think it was actually the book that inspired the rush of words. That and memories of saltwater trips, the waves seething and thundering. The sea fills my cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi,
    Thank you for sharing this. It makes my heart smile. I'm humbled that my story made you feel this way. Words like this push me to try harder and keep going.
    Thank you,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete