Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cartels and Combinations Review

I've been reading up a storm lately. One of the latest books I read was an offering by the name of CARTELS AND COMBINATIONS by Mike McPheters. I have to say I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

The book is about a Mexican family who comes to America to work in the fruit orchards of Idaho. The family splits and one son goes back to Mexico to become a drug lord and the other goes to college and becomes a prosecutor. In a bid to extricate his sons from jail, a rival drug kingpin abducts the prosecutor's daughter. The outcome will surprise you. I found the twist as delicious as a ripe peach.

I'm the sort of person who shies away from listening to the news too much these days, because it's always full of the horrible, depressing, depraved things people do to each other in the name of money, sex, fame, power, or a combination of the four. I don't enjoy reading prison/slasher/violence-for-the-sake-of-violence books.

But I picked up this one and could barely put it down. My life is interwoven with the whole drug trafficking thing, basically because I live close to the border. A man just next door to one of our old houses was shot dead in a drug deal-gone-bad. Some people behind us in another house ran a drug house and chop shop until the authorities carted them off to prison. Another house across the street used to be a dealer's house until he got shot by his son. It's difficult to have a good night's sleep with the helicopters rumbling overhead. It's also hard to have a sanguine outlook on life.

This book offered some hope and some information about what we can do to battle the evil which rocks our world. Through most of the book I kept asking the question, "Yes, but how do we stop this from happening?" I think Mr. McPheters answered it. He does ask some difficult questions that I couldn't quite answer, though. How much are we willing to do? How much can we do without endangering our families? How much can we afford not to do?

Get this book from here and sit back and enjoy the ride, maybe with a ripe peach or an apple. Check out Mike's Agent Bishop books as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment