Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Monday, November 11, 2013

Sitting Atop the Writer's Block


I was going to leave a note saying I was off at the NANOWRIMO sweat shop pounding out words this month and leave it at that. But I couldn't pass up the chance to say that it's sailing right along. I have almost half of THE DAY IT RAINED GLASS done.

THE DAY IT RAINED GLASS is a dystopian YA book about some kids who survive a nuclear holocaust in Chicago. I wanted to set the book there because New York has been done to death. It's been interesting researching the area and thinking about what it would look like two years after The Blast. I don't remember going there when I was little (I was five or so, I think) so I've done lots of research. I think this calls for a lovely trip to Chi-Town--maybe to watch a baseball game or see the Chicago river run green on St. Patrick's Day.

I love the characters. Thrace is a sixteen-year-old girl trying to build a life for herself and her little sister while still remembering and mourning the old one. How do you deal with the fact that your younger sis can boss you around or life gets hairy?  
Chara is the spooky fourteen-year-old sib with a burgeoning psi talent and a soft heart.
The mysterious loner, Grit, has troubles of his own, not least that everyone thinks he's a coward.
As their band grows, so do the troubles. Navigating through the rocky shoals of Chicago After can be deadly--especially if you taste good.

Anyway, that's my tease of THE DAY IT RAINED GLASS. See ya at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment