Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Monday, August 19, 2013

DREAMSPELL Review


I just finished DREAMSPELL by Tamara Leigh...dang it. The ride is over. I immediately looked for another of Tamara's books to start, not wanting to fall clear off the horse and hit the ground.

This book wove a deep spell around me. I've often pondered what it would be like to go back into medieval times like this. My husband turned over in bed this morning and groaned because I was already reading this book. I read it walking, I took it to a meeting I had to be at. Couldn't put it down.

This is a premise I've loved since I first saw SOMEWHERE IN TIME starring Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour. What would it be like to be able to dream yourself into medieval times? How would it be to change the past and right a horrible wrong? When I first read about Britain's two little princes who disappeared without a trace, this is what I wanted to do. Why not have someone from our time rescue them?

Basically this was the idea of DREAMSPELL, though with two other little boys. I loved it. I loved that Kennedy got her second chance at crashing through the cancer barrier, even while her life was slipping away. I wanted to scream, "Hold on! It'll work out!"

It will work out, won't it?

I was glad that Fulke wasn't a Fabio-lookalike. I liked him rugged and scarred from a life of battle. If he's any good, he's got scars. I've been in many medieval-like battles. Even the fake battles are difficult to emerge from completely intact. I certainly could never keep my hair curled or smell nice through it all. I think it's ridiculous when writers portray knights without some hefty scars, because the reality was that being a knight often hurt like heck, even if the guy was an extremely good fighter.

The pacing was fast. The storyline was tight. I enjoyed watching Kennedy trying to fit her twenty-first century head into a medieval body. I think she did admirably at it. There were just the right amount of calls for burning the witch, garderobe references, and dastardly henchmen. I liked the confusion about what was going on. They couldn't, after all, pick up their cell phone and call.

There were about two quarts of blood and hacked limbs, zero sex, a thousand or so hours of sleep deprivation (and that doesn't include my own sleeplessness), no scurvy language, and scriptorium-loads of great research. I laughed, I squirmed, I hated Kennedy's self-made underwear along with her. Too bad she couldn't take some back with her, along with toothpaste, comfy shoes, feminine products, shampoo, a library of how-to books, and an extensive first aid kit.

If you liked the book TIME MACHINE by H.G.Wells or the movie SOMEWHERE IN TIME, you'll love this book. Now to hunt down Tamara Leigh's other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment