Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

And the Bodhran Beat Goes On

Tipper naofa, Batman! Is féidir leis na daoine a imirt!
(Holy tipper, Batman! These people can play!)

So I have a new (to me) bodhran (an Irish drum). Apparently it's the old style of drum with a cross piece in the back. Now they don't use those cross pieces anymore and the drum head is smaller with a protected edge for playing on too. I also have the old-style tipper (stick, beater) with two rounded heads. Looks like the newer ones don't have the rounded heads.

I learned by watching other American drummers and I think some of my habits have been bad. So starting today I'm working on re-learning the basics of how to play the bodhran. Man these guys are GOOD!!! It's going to be a long old time before I can play even proficiently. But it's really fun. I should at least have a few jigs and reels down by St. Patty's.

I'll try and put a few riffs on here for you to see not only really good players but also some basics of how to learn. None of them will be me since I'm not good at it.

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to learn how to play one of these so bad! Where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A drummer friend of mine gave it to me. My son had one which I always played, but he moved out and let the head split. You have to take care of these babies in the heat.
    I really love playing it. It's a good challenge. There's always someone so SO much better. Always another mountain to climb...:o)

    ReplyDelete