Home

Page the Second

Problems

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi. (In front of you, a precipice. Behind you, wolves.)

Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Writer's Lament

It's Sunday again so I wrote this Wednesday. Here we go with more couplets because they're a blast to write:










The Writer's Lament
Writing writing all day long
I write a list, I write a song.

I write directions to the store
I write a blog post then two more

Then some funny Face Book posts
With silly pictures and some boasts

A few reviews and then some edits
Acknowledgements and writer credits

I fill an order for some food
And mark some scriptures, call it good

It's not until the family's sleeping
With my book appointment keeping

Writing late into the night
By the dimming kitchen light

That is when my people live
To frolic on the page 'til five.

Then I haul me in to bed
To sleep for an hour like the dead

No wonder when the day gets light
My looks would give a reef shark fright

That is why kids see me sleeping
When into my room they're creeping

But they nudge me anyway
To tell me it's my driving day.
© 2015 by H. Linn Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment